LAUNCH OF THE
ship was the last wooden British Man-of-War, and was launched on
June 21st, 1841.
The ship was launched by Lady Bridport (Nelson's
niece), who used wine for the purpose taken from the Victory after
the great fight. in honour of which the ship was named.
launch took place at 2.30, and the gigantic vessel floated gallantly
down the river and was brought up by means of a swing cable at about
three lengths, swinging round with her stern towards London and
displaying her vast proportions to thousands of admiring spectators.
The launch was announced by the discharge of artillery and the hurrahs
of those who witnessed it. It was a truly national and gallant sight.
At this moment the rain, which had kept off as if in expectation
of the event, began to descend in torrents." The Times, 1841