About the Collection
Victoriana consists of published materials and documents relating to the history as well as present activities of Victoria University. It contains more than 250 titles and includes books, magazines, newspapers, pamphlets and other documents.
Duplicate copies of some items are located in our stacks and may be signed out (a valid TCard is required). Additionally, microfiche copies of Acta Victoriana are located in the reference collection on the first floor, under the call number LH3 .V5 A3. A microfiche reader is available on the main floor of the library.
This guide is only a sampling of what is available in Victoriana. To find materials that are not listed here, please contact us.
History of Victoria University
- Burwash, Nathanael. The History of Victoria College. Toronto: Victoria College Press, 1927.
- Cowan, Kathleen. It’s Late, and All the Girls Have Gone: An Annesley Diary, 1907–1910. Toronto: Childe Thursday, 1984.
- Cousland, Kenneth H. The Founding of Emmanuel College of Victoria University in the University of Toronto. Toronto, 1978.
- Dyke, Doris Jean. Crucified Woman. Toronto: United Church Publishing House, 1991.
- Grant, John Webster. From Cobourg to Toronto. Victoria University in Retrospect: the Sesquicentennial Lectures, 1986. Toronto: Chartres Books, 1989.
- Sissons, C.B. A History of Victoria University. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1952.
- Victoria University in the University of Toronto. On the Old Ontario Strand, Victoria’s Hundred Years: Addresses at the Centenary of Victoria University, and the Burwash Memorial Lectures of the Centennial Year, 1936.
Biographies of Victorians
- Love, C.C. Frederick Clark Stephenson, 1864–1941. Toronto: Ryerson Press, 1957.
- O’Grady, Jean. Margaret Addison: A Biography. McGill–Queen’s University Press, 2001.
- Sissons, C.B. Egerton Ryerson: His Life and Letters. Clarke, Irwin, 1937–1947.
- Sissons, C.B. The Memoirs of C.B. Sissons. University of Toronto Press, 1964.
The collection also contains many memoriam booklets, including those for Richard Davidson, Arnot Stanley Orton, Augustus Edward Lang, Frank Louis Barber, Edward Wilson Wallace, Margaret Addison, John Fletcher McLaughlin, Alfred Gandier, and Andrew James Bell.
|A literary journal.||1878–present.|
|The Goose||A literary journal.||2012–present.|
|Hey, Teach!||A magazine devoted to the study of education.||2009–present.|
|Humanitas||A journal for the humanities.||2009–present.|
|Redventure||A creative writing zine.||2014.|
|Sign||A semiotics journal.||2013–present.|
|The Strand||A newspaper.||1955–present.|
|The Victoriad||A yearbook.||1978–1994; 2006–present.|
Victoria University Publications
|*Listed individually in the library catalogue by call number, e.g. LE3 .V45 H36 1969/70.|
|Calendar, Victoria University||A course calendar.||1841–1918|
|Calendar, Victoria University Faculty of Theology||A course calendar.||1908–1927|
Vic News Flashes, Victoria University
|A newsletter published by the Victoria University Centenary Committee.||1936, 1937, 1939|
|Victoria Reports, Vic Report||A quarterly magazine.||1951–1972, 1972–present|
|Bulletin, Victoria College||An annual guide to Victoria College.||1951–1972, 1972–present|
|Calendar, Emmanuel College||A graduate course calendar.||1928–2004|
EC News, Emmanuel College
Some issues available online.
|An bi-annual newsletter.||2007–present|
|Handbooks by the Victoria College Union*||Informal guides to Victoria College for incoming students.||1964–1968, 1978, 1979|
University of Toronto Publications
|*Followed by the Varsity Graduate (1948–1967 intermittent), University of Toronto Graduate (1967–1972), Graduate (1973–1986), University of Toronto Alumni Magazine (1986–1988), University of Toronto Magazine (1988–present), and UofT Magazine (2008–present), which are not in the Victoriana collection, but in the periodical stacks on the second floor of our library.|
|University of Toronto Monthly*||Alumni magazine.||1900–1947|
Victoria University Archives
The Victoria University Archives holds the corporate records of Victoria University, the records of student and alumni groups, and personal papers of alumni, faculty and staff.
The Canadiana collection (part of our special collections), also contains materials relating to prominent Victorians and the history of education in Ontario.
Other Special Collections at
They include the personal papers of many Victoria alumni, faculty and staff, including the literary critic Northrop Frye, doctor and suffragist Augusta Stowe-Gullen, poet E.J. Pratt, geologist A.P. Coleman, and the filmmaker Norman Jewison.
All titles in the collections are listed in the University of Toronto Libraries catalogue. Under library, select Victoria University E.J. Pratt Library and under location, scroll down to Victoria (Pratt) Victoriana Collection.
Please visit us at the inquiry desk on the main floor of the library or contact our reference librarians if you require assistance with researching the collection.