Bloomsbury Group & Hogarth Press
About the Collection
Victoria University Library has a number of special collections concerning the Bloomsbury Group. Chief among these is the Virginia Woolf Collection consisting of more than 3000 items.
The collection contains books by and about Virginia Woolf and other members of the Bloomsbury Group. It features all the Hogarth Press books hand-printed by Leonard and Virginia Woolf including many variant issues, bindings and proof copies. (Records for each item can be found in the University of Toronto Library Catalogue.)
The design interests of the Bloomsbury Group are represented by the graphic works of Vanesssa Bell, Roger Fry, Duncan Grant and Clive Bell. Stephen Tomlin, a sculptor associated with the Group, is represented by bronze busts of Virginia Woolf and Lytton Strachey (on permanent display in the Pratt Reading Room.)
A substantial number of ephemeral publications, press catalogues, announcements and notices enhance the research utility of the collection.
Charleston, the Studio.
Photograph by Susanna Price.
by Dora Carrington, 1921
Related Special Collections
Each of these includes Bloomsbury related material:
- Clive Bell
- Quentin Bell
- Catharine Carrington
- Kenneth Clark
- Duncan Grant
- Jennie Huie
- International Virginia Woolf Society
- Mary Coyne Rowell Jackman
- S.P. Rosenbaum
- R.C. Trevelyan
- Woolf/Bloomsbury Group/Hogarth Press Ephemera Collection
- Leonard Woolf
- Virginia Woolf Collection
- J. Howard Woolmer
In 1997 the library mounted “Bloomsbury: Books, art and design,” an exhibition based on its Virginia Woolf collection.
In 2007 the exhibition Virginia & Co. was mounted to celebrate the 125th birthday of Virginia Woolf
- Beyond Bloomsbury: Designs of the Omega Workshops 1913-19 - An exhibition at The Courtauld Gallery from June 18 - September 20, 2009.
- Bloomsbury: Books, Art & Design - An online exhibition at Victoria University Library.
- British Bohemia: The Bloomsbury Circle of Virginia Woolf - photos from an exhibition at the International Cultural Centre Poland, September 15, 2010 to January 9, 2011, featuring items loaned by Victoria University Library.
- British Bohemia: The Bloomsbury Circle of Virginia Woolf - view video of an exhibition at the International Cultural Centre Poland, September 15, 2010 to January 9, 2011.
- The Bloomsbury Workshop: Specialists in the Art of Bloomsbury
- The Charleston Trust
- Links to Web Sites on Virginia Woolf - A series of links assembled to accompany the website for the The Sixth Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf at Clemson University, June 13-16, 1996.
- Seventy Years at the Hogarth Press: The Press of Virginia and Leonard Woolf An exhibition organized by the University of Delaware, Hugh H. Morris Library, curated by Max Yela that was held May 15 - September 30, 1987.
- Vita Sackville West (1892-1962) - contains information on Woolf: bio plus a list of her works
- Virginia Woolf Resource Materials - from the International Viriginia Woolf Society, a listing of publishers, rare book dealers and e-texts.
- Virginia Woolf Web Links